Captain Cook on Google Earth

Colin Hazlehurst has produced some  excellent tours of James Cook exploring New Zealand and Australia using Google Earth 

I have been using Google Earth as an educational tool for a while now, some of the new  developments have been useful, some have been stunning; I’ll write about some of these once I have had a good play.

This time his presentation covers Cook’s exploration of Australia from April 18 – August 23, 1770. The presentation contains over five hours of animation with audio accompaniment, and is split into 17 tours.

The audio of Cook’s log, brings an especially good ambience, making the ‘viewer’ experience an added dimention, it is almost movie-like. The sectioning into seperate tours, although, I guess, to aid the transfer of information, will make it useful in the classroom, allowing teachers and students to focus on a particular event or time period, overview’s of his voyages are easilt accessable, this resource adds to our understanding, as well as demonstrating aspects in good detail. 

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2012/03/captain_james_cooks_exploration_of.html